UpgradeSystem fails

Hi, I’ve installed recently Gobolinux (though I’ve tried long time ago :slight_smile: )
I really like the concept, and I’m investigating for a second maybe primary distro for my use.
The problem is I encountered this

Is there anything I can do ? (the upgrade script is non existent on the site)
Auxiliary question, I wandered on the IRC chan which seems dead, is there any IM used for Gobolinux ?
Thanks

UpgradeSystem is for version-to-version distribution updates to new releases and not useful for someone who installed recently. It might become useful when 020 comes out if there are hierarchy or other changes that package upgrades can’t handle, or not (perhaps it should be removed from the tools in between). It’s not a day-to-day tool.

The IRC channel is pretty quiet and there isn’t anything else to my knowledge.

If you are looking to update your system then using Compile manually is the way to go. It will always fetch the latest recipe from the repo; but currently there is no tool to update the whole system with one command.

In there past Freshen could be used but is not fully working anymore afaik, and lacks a maintainer.
But iirc you can still use Freshen to show you which packages on your system are outdated against the repo.

I will say that Freshen for mass automated upgrades was probably never wise in the past - it was a bit of an attractive nuisance and would break things not that infrequently. The other tooling and package dependencies are a bit more resilient these days, so it’s possible it could turn into something safe, but I generally advised against unmitigated Freshen -U and still do. Forming a list and upgrading a few at a time was generally ok (in that you could manually revert as needed). It was always a layered-on thing.

But that would be due to the quality of the recipes, or Freshen itself behaving improperly?

A combination of factors, particularly just carrying on and blithely running further installs rapidly when the user would have recognised something went wrong with an earlier one. It was not safe. There were also e.g. inaccurate dependencies, which are probably less common now, and they made it unreliable. It’s not fundamentally unsound, but it encouraged people to look at it like apt-get upgrade that they can mechanistically run and it really wasn’t up to that level.

Thanks, when I saw UpgradeSystem, I thought it was the way to go :slight_smile: