System fails to boot after updating Eudev

Hello there,
for testing purposes I would like to update my Eudev version. Actually not a lot has happened with Eudev recently so it should be a rather minor version bump from Eudev 3.2.9Eudev 3.2.10

I have pushed an updated Recipe to the repos: Eudev 3.2.10 · gobolinux/Recipes@430ae75 · GitHub

Now unfortunately after Symlinking Eudev 3.2.10 my system hangs on boot. I have also noticed that the resolution during boot does not change as it usually does.

The boot process hangs after the message:
Configuring power settings...

Unfortunately there is no further output. Is there maybe a way to increase the log verbosity?

When switching to Eudev 3.2.9 again, the system boots up as usual. The boot log now states:

[...]

Configuring power settings...
PowerTOP Start -- Success
 /System/Tasks/PowerTOP: line 9: /sys/bus/usb/devices/1-0:1.0/power/control: Permission denied /System/Tasks/PowerTOP: line 9: /sys/bus/usb/devices/1-2:1.0/power/control: Permission denied /System/Tasks/PowerTOP: line 9: /sys/bus/usb/devices/1-2:1.1/power/control: Permission denied /System/Tasks/PowerTOP: line 9: /sys/bus/usb/devices/1-2:1.2/power/control: Permission denied /System/Tasks/PowerTOP: line 9: /sys/bus/usb/devices/1-2:1.3/power/control: Permission denied /System/Tasks/PowerTOP: line 9: /sys/bus/usb/devices/1-4:1.0/power/control: Permission denied /System/Tasks/PowerTOP: line 9: /sys/bus/usb/devices/2-0:1.0/power/control: Permission denied /System/Tasks/PowerTOP: line 9: /sys/bus/usb/devices/3-0:1.0/power/control: Permission denied /System/Tasks/PowerTOP: line 9: /sys/bus/usb/devices/3-2:1.0/power/control: Permission denied /System/Tasks/PowerTOP: line 9: /sys/bus/usb/devices/3-2:1.1/power/control: Permission denied /System/Tasks/PowerTOP: line 9: /sys/bus/usb/devices/3-2:1.2/power/control: Permission denied /System/Tasks/PowerTOP: line 9: /sys/bus/usb/devices/3-2:1.3/power/control: Permission denied /System/Tasks/PowerTOP: line 9: /sys/bus/usb/devices/3-3:1.0/power/control: Permission denied /System/Tasks/PowerTOP: line 9: /sys/bus/usb/devices/3-3:1.1/power/control: Permission denied /System/Tasks/PowerTOP: line 9: /sys/bus/usb/devices/3-4:1.0/power/control: Permission denied /System/Tasks/PowerTOP: line 9: /sys/bus/usb/devices/3-4:1.1/power/control: Permission denied /System/Tasks/PowerTOP: line 9: /sys/bus/usb/devices/3-4:1.2/power/control: Permission denied /System/Tasks/PowerTOP: line 9: /sys/bus/usb/devices/4-0:1.0/power/control: Permission denied

[...]

There seem to be some persmission denied errors, but the system boots up. But maybe it is a sign that something is wrong with the configs?

I’d like to hear your thoughts, maybe if you can even reproduce, or give some tips how to debug the issue or where to look.

Thanks in advance!

Hi there. This looks like the settings shipped with 3.2.10 are incomplete in comparison to 3.2.9. If I’m not mistaken, the settings we’re shipping with 017 came either from Linux From Scratch, Fedora, or Arch Linux – I don’t recall. The default settings you get with the stock Eudev package are usually not complete enough. I would look into preserving the previous settings (look under Settings/ and lib/udev).