Swap and home partitions

I just installed GoboLinux on a spare laptop. I wasn’t aware that the (text) installer doesn’t include setting up swap and home partitions, which I have created. Now that I have a more or less working system, I ran $ cat /etc/fstab. It looks like there are entries for my sda2 (swap) and sda3 (home) partitions, however I am not sure what GoboLinux expects regarding syntax and file location. For swap, my /etc/fstab on a SalixOS (Slackware based) install looks like this:

$ cat /etc/fstab
/dev/nvme0n1p3   swap             swap        defaults         0   0

This would be a bit easier if I could figure out to at least update Firefox, as Discourse tells me that it is an old, unsupported version, and I have to switch between computers to post…

The device files will be in /System/Kernel/Devices, but /dev is a (hidden) symlink to that, so e.g. /dev/sda1 should work the same way. Similarly, /etc/fstab is a valid path to the right file.

The equivalent of /home is /Users and you should be able to mount there as usual. There isn’t really anything special about any of these in practice and the system doesn’t have any special expectations, or specifically require swap.

Good to know. It still would be nice to setup swap. When I added the above snippet from my /etc/fstab to GoboLinux, I was getting a boot error about the /etc/fstab.

Not sure what’s going on with your fstab.

But to install a new firefox you can follow this: