Post-install issues

I’ve just installed GoboLinux on a spare machine I use for OS/distribution evaluation. I’ve run into two issues that at least you should be aware of and perhaps can help me solve.

1. I use static IP addresses on my machines. I edited the BootUp file per Configuring the boot process · gobolinux/Documentation Wiki · GitHub, adding ifconfig and route commands, obviously using the correct IP address for my router:

ifconfig eth0 192.168.2.174 netmask 255.255.255.0
route add default gateway 192.168.2.1 metric 1 dev eth0

I also edited resolv.conf to use the Comcast DNS servers, though not really necessary. Upon reboot, I can ping a local machine but cannot get to the outside world. pinging one of the Comcast servers (75.75.75.75) fails. Examination of the routing table with ‘route’ yields

Kernel IP routing table
Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use Iface
192.168.2.0 * 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 eth0

No route for the default destination. If at this point I re-issue the route command (logged in as root) already present in BootUp, the network now works properly and the routing table looks as it should:

Kernel IP routing table
Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use Iface
default RT-AX3000-6938 0.0.0.0 UG 1 0 0 eth0
192.168.2.0 * 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 eth0

So I have a workaround, but the instructions given in the documentation do not work correctly.

I should add that using dhcp works correctly.

1. I installed git (InstallPackage Git). I then cd-ed to /System/Settings and did

git init

This resulted in

git: error while loading shared libraries: libcrypto.so.1.0.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I searched the whole filesystem for this file and it is indeed missing. There is a libcrypto.so.1.1 somewhere in the openssl hierarchy.

I am going to stop trying to set this system up, but I will leave it as it is, hoping that some discussion here will convince me that it is worthwhile to continue (with a working git).

Thanks –
/Don Allen

While I said previously I wasn’t going to continue with Gobo setup, I did have a thought about the git issue and that was that git may have been installed by the Installer. So I booted the Live system and checked the Installer and indeed it does install git if you elect to install everything, which I had. So my attempt to install it I think resulted in an earlier version of git being installed side-by-side with the current one, confusing things. There were some other things that I wasn’t happy about with the way I installed the system, so I decided to redo it. Not surprisingly, git works correctly now. So this issue was pilot error.

There is still the issue with use of static ip addresses and the routing table still not getting set up correctly. Any thoughts on this would be welcome.

/Don Allen